Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jack Black Sucks!

It's no secret that I waste far too much time surfing the internet in search of crazy information about the world and pop culture. Well, here's one fun activity I've found in my search that I thought worthy of sharing. It's a Swedish furniture name generator. If you've ever walked through IKEA store and thought, "where the hell do they get they come up with the names for these couches?" this is most likely the answer. I'm a side table named SVERRII. I don't know if I like Sweden.


Also, for those Jack Black/School of Rock fans out there, it looks like 2 might be in the works. Click here to see the full article. I can't say I'm excited about a School of Rock sequel, since Jack Black destroys every movie he's in. Case in point: Be Kind Rewind. Any Michal Gondry flick should be amazing, but this latest film was barely bearable thanks to the consistently annoying Black. Eh…


Moving on, Mad Men returns for season two Sunday July 27th. I'm a TV nut, and would recommend this show to anyone. It doesn't take much to get addicted to this show. The series focuses on an advertising agency in the late 1950s. It's the most truthful portrayal of the industry and the time period I've ever seen on television or on film. While we're used to seeing the chipper, pleasantville world of the Leave it to Beaver '50s, Mad Men portrays the sexism, racism, and immorality that peaople faced during the period. Seriously, you have one month to catch up on season one before the new season begins. The first season is available on DVD or on iTunes. Check out more about the show here.


This is different; the Chicago Sun-Times ran an interesting piece on the effects of high fuel costs on indie rock. It's an interesting spin on a topic I'm really sick of being reminded of. Check that article out by clicking here.


Finally, Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson. I'm hooked on this guys music. He sucks live, as he's rarely sober enough to stand let alone get words out while playing guitar. Still, he's wildly popular here in New York and his live performances are often reviewed as 'trancendant'. I disagree, but still love his recordings and can understand why he's often called 'the next Bob Dylan'. My brother and I happened to catch one of his live shows at the Cake Shop on the Lower East Side a couple of months ago. To read more about him and his music, click here.




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. My brother keeps on telling me how good his films are, but I never managed to watch "Be kind, rewind" to the end, neither "School of Rock", and I went to the conclussion... Jack Black sucks, you're right.