Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The future is here.

After writing my Back to the Future themed blog, I felt the need to rant about my displeasure with the direction science is taking our future.

It's actually been a pretty amazing year for science. There have been some major developments from scientists who clearly watched too much sci-fi as children (and likely still do). For example, this past year some science nerds in Denmark actually teleported an object a full 18 inches. That means that at some point in the future, we may easily be able to transport ourselves a full foot and a half. In my studio apartment that might actually get me halfway to the fridge from the couch... I'd take it. Now they've done it again. Engineers here in the US have created a laser rifle that can burn through a person with pinpoint accuracy from a five mile range. That's comforting. I'm sure that this is a technology that will catch on with the public. Why can't these guys spend their time on something useful like in home 'moving walkways' or flying cars? There aren't any hovering skate boards or talking holograms either. I'm fairly sure that scientists of today were watching the wrong shows as children. Unless some Jetsons fans show up in the science world real soon, the future is a very scary place.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you be afarid of the future when you have lavendar scented tires to look forward to? doesnt that give you a calming feeling?