Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Today was the day... and now the day is tomorrow.

It almost happened today. I almost had an apartment. The only problem is, I had already cancelled my hotel reservation, so now I'm spending my night in my office. I will most definitely have an apartment tomorrow though. I collected some pictures while I was there today that I wanted to share with everyone. First is a picture of my street. They weren't kidding when they said 'tree-lined', which is a big deal in NYC apparently. It's actually a pretty nice street. Mostly quiet, with an occasional store or restaurant mixed in with the apartment buildings. I've got a small grocery store, a chinese food place (with free delivery), a laundromat, and a deli/breakfast bar across the street from me. I can't tell you how happy I am about that. I also have a fairly good sized park at the end of my block, which will be great for walks with the dog. Right next door to me, between my building and the park, is a nice little Catholic church, Our Lady of Angels. They have different mass times for Spanish or English. I hope to learn Spanish soon so I can attend any of them. I was really impressed with the church itself. I haven't even seen the inside yet. My apartment is pretty nice as well. Actually, I never really saw my apartment today, but the lobby is nice. The windows show the age of the building. They remind me of the windows on the Henry Ford Museum. A classic look with the rounded top. It's very colonial, early american style. Furthering this theme are the fantastic murals on the walls. They feature people clearly dresses in revolutionary period outfits farming, fishing or hunting. There has been some clear damage to them over them many years they've been there, including some graffiti and some other damage, but they are in great shape considering their vulnerable location. I was also impressed by the detail work in small places. I took a picture of the ceiling to exemplify my point. The design work on the ceiling and the molding around the room are in themselves very beautiful and artistic. The owners have clearly noticed this as well, and have taken the time to highlight and preserve their beauty. This only convinces me further that I have picked the right apartment. If only I could get in. In the center of the lobby is a fireplace that looks to have been unused for a very long time. I'm sure it would've been very impressive in the days when it still was lit each evening. I can only imagine what it would've been like to live in this building when it was first concieved. I'm sure the Bronx was a very different place then.

0 comments: