Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Thats why they're for girls."

Over the past few weeks, I’ve written a few positive movie reviews, listing all of the movies that are worth seeing. Now for the list of movies that aren’t worth seeing. I’ve been avoiding TV lately, hoping to free up time to live more and enjoy the city. Still, when I need a fix of electric entertainment, I rent a movie on iTunes. Most of the sure things action movies I’ve already seen, which left me with a less than excitable choice of obviously bad flicks that I had no interest in or romantic comedies/dramas that had some, however little possibility of being good. Here’s the entire list of the few I gave a chance and what I thought of them:

1) Enchanted. I honestly don't know what I expected. This has to be one of the worst concepts for a movie falling in line just below Kate & Leopold for worst romance movie idea ever. Apparently the executives in Hollywood think that women will buy into anything, and apparently they aren't far off. I just don't understand what could possibly have driven these actors to be involved in this, seriously? And what about all of the saps who paid to see this in the theater? The saddest part of all is that this movie is my favorite on the list.


2) Definitely, Maybe. I once heard Definitely, Maybe compared to the 2002 hit, About A Boy. About A Boy is a great movie whaich has stayed in my short list of favorites since it's release. Definitely, Maybe is no About A Boy. When I read the reviews and saw the adds, I expected this movie to be about a young guy who's dating three girls and one get's knocked up eventually becoming his babies mom (I attempted a slang version of the word, but it failed miserably, but you get the point). I thought it could really be enjoyable. The unfortunate truth is that this movie has nothing in common with About A Boy, other than starring Rachel Weise. Ryan Reynolds does not play a convincing dad, and in fact, doesn't convince me at all. His acting is stiff, often forced and over the top. It seemed as though Adam Brooks had written this with some serious wit and true humor fused in, but it didn’t play out on the screen as well as it could’ve. The only actor who seemed to properly deliver Brooks' work was the 11 year old Abigail Breslin, who we know from Little Miss Sunshine. Watching her react as she realizes her dad once drank and smoked is fun, but those moments occur too rarely. In truth, the majority of the movie was stiff and forced, despite it's potential.


3) 27 Dresses. I know, I know, but once all else is exhausted you have to do something for entertainment. Let me tell you, this is not the thing to do. I will say that it started out pretty strong, and I actually thought I might be entertained for some length of time, until they started singing karaoke at the bar. This movie had a typical storyline that attempted to tug on women’s heartstrings, which I apparently lack. I’m so glad this auto-deletes from my computer after 24 hours.


4) P.S. I Love You. I was attracted to this movie because of the impressive cast. What, Harry Connick Jr. doesn’t play the romantic lead? Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler do? That’s an odd combination. I’ve got to see that. Well, first off, Hillary Swank is no Julia Roberts and certainly can’t pull of the romantic girl all that well. Harry Connick Jr. as the bumbling bartender with psychological disorders just wasn’t believable either, and Gerard Butler, well he could’ve been alright had he actually been in the movie. Just trust me and don’t bother.

To tell the truth, the Richard Gere, Julia Roberts days are done, and so am I. For years I’ve done my best to stay open minded to all genres of film, but for the first time I’m finding myself swearing off this category altogether. How’s that expression go? “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” Let me know if anything comes out that’s worth my time or money, meanwhile I’m sticking to the comic book movies.

0 comments: